Let us answer your frequently asked questions about Motability from Charters SsangYong Reading. We discuss the details, terms and conditions, what vehicles and adaptations are available. If your question isn’t answered on this page, please do not hesitate to call us.
Your Questions Answered
The Motability service was introduced as a government funded project to assist drivers with disabilities on to the road by providing financed lease cars which include: insurance, road tax, breakdown cover, maintenance, tyres, servicing and windscreen replacement along with many adaptations that are required by the driver. Naturally every individual’s requirements are different but this guide below will help you with the important questions.For a more detailed introduction to Motability, we advise our customers to read “Your Guide to Motability” which is found in the reference section below.
If you receive one of the following:
- Higher Rate Mobility Component of Personal Independence Payment (HRMC of PIP)
- Enhanced Rate Mobility Component of Personal Independence Payment (ERMC of PIP)
- The War Pensioners’ Mobility Supplement (WPMS)
- The Armed Forces Independence Payment (AFIP)
As long as you have 1 year remaining on your award, you can get a car on Motability.
Please Note: You are also able to lease a SsangYong through Motability if:
- You are a parent (or guardian) of a child aged 3 or over who receives the allowance
- You are unable to drive (for this, you are able to nominate two other people to drive on your behalf)
- A new SsangYong every three years (or five years for WAV customers)
- Insurance (from RSA Motability)
- Annual Road Fund Licence (Road Tax)
- Servicing and Maintenance (provided by Charters)
- RAC breakdown assistance
- Tyre replacement (by Kwik Fit)
- Windscreen and window replacement
- The ability to nominate two additional drivers at no extra cost
- 60,000 mileage allowance over three years (or 100,000 for WAV customers). The average user drives between 10,000-12,000 miles per year so this is plenty.
- Many adaptations at no extra cost (for a list of adaptations, see “Your Guide to Motability Adaptations” in our documentation section below)
Yes. Each Motability user can nominate up to two additional drivers without charge (more can be added for a fee).
The following list of cars are available on Motability:
(some individual trim levels do not apply. Ask in showroom for details).
- Take the time to browse our latest Motability offers (we update these regularly)
- Call us on 0118 402 4780 and book an appointment to see us
- Visit Charters SsangYong Reading and test drive the cars of your choice
- Order your car (by paying the advance payment)
- Collect your car when it is ready
We at Charters understand that many of our Motability users are not able to get to our dealership easily and therefore we offer a home visit service where we will come and have a chat you about the programme and bring along a car of your choosing for you to test drive. Experience the benefits of ordering Motability without having the hassle of visiting dealerships.
When ordering your Motability car, you’ll need to bring:
- Certificate of entitlement from either DWP or SPVA
- Proof of address (e.g. recent utility bill)
- Both parts of your driving licence if you wish to drive
- Named driver’ driving licences and consent (if your named driver is unable to come with you to Charters, they must complete a Driver Consent Form
- Details of any previous accidents and driving convictions that you or your named drivers have had,
- The advance payment – if applicable (displayed on all Motability offers)
For full restrictions on this programme, please contact Charters directly on 0118 402 4780. You can request a callback if dialing from a mobile phone. Just use the form provided.
The list is endless but includes:
- Tip-Up plate
- Permanent swivel seat (manual or motorised)
- Left foot accelerator
- Twin flip accelerator
- Push/Pull hand controls
- Trigger Throttle
- Easy release handbrake
- Steering Ball
- Remote steering.